• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

This diary will be a bit on the short side due to the frenzy at the office this week, but since it recently came up on the forum, I thought I'd say a little bit about regnal numbers. One of the nice little touches in Europa Universalis III (and its predecessors) is that kings have proper regnal numbers. This feature was missing from the original Crusader Kings, but I am pleased to announce that it will be fully implemented in Crusader Kings II. The way it works is that the first names of actual scripted holders in the character database are counted for each landed title at game start. Regnal numbers are only displayed for Dukes and above, which includes the Pope (a kingdom tier title.) The Holy Father, however, is a bit special in that he changes name on accession. So, a character named, say, Étienne Aubert could get the name Innocent VI if he became Pope.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Regnal Numbers.jpg

Somewhat related to regnal numbers is the state of a character at the time of death. In Crusader Kings II, you can browse back through dead characters and see exactly which titles they held and what regnal number they had. I'll leave you with some extra screenshots while you're waiting for the next dev diary, which will be about our beautiful new map. Failing unexpected delays, it should be posted on february 4.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Vassal Opinions.jpg
Crusader Kings II Alpha - North Sea.jpg

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

This may be a detail, but will the end of these names always be -son, or will they be country specific? Like Swedish names having -sson and Danish -sen, or? As i.e. the Scandinavian languages began to differ from one another, and from Anglo-Saxon, in the CK period, will there be differences in the name endings? :) Or is that too much work?

EDIT: To put it more clearly; Would the Swedish name be Nilsson, and the Danish one Nilsen (in Danish it's actually Nielsen)?

EDIT 2: And will this also include female surnames like -dottir (and -datter and so on)?

To answer EDIT and EDIT 2: Yes.

That would be pretty awesome. "Olaf Achmedson, 3rd Emir of Götaland, asks for your daughter, Helga, to be added to his harem." :rofl:

I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing that would be asked with much politeness. :eek:

Good, it's little things like this, after all the other big things, that will make CK2 a great game. I'm happy that there will be patronymics that are culturally specific--one practical use of culture we've seen so far. So my starting king of Castilla can accurately be Sancho Fernández, son of Fernando Sánchez, son of Sancho Garcés, son of Garcia Sánchez, of the House of Navarra (or Jimena, if you prefer). Castillian and Portuguese patronymics get a little complicated depending on the father's name, but I'm sure it'll work as designed. Oh happy day!

The dutch had patronimes too. -szoon and -sdochter. But I am not sure how much they were used in the level of the dutch counts. I know they were being used amongst the common people though (especially before Napoleon introduced the family name). So for dutch courtiers they would be appropiate in game, I am not sure about the counts though, so I won't miss them.

Nice update...I do have one tiny suggestion, I'm not sure if this has been suggested before but, I think the monarch for each nation should get their primary title after their regnal number e.g. on Edward III character screen instead of being plain old Edward III, he'll become Edward III of England, Philippe VI will become Philippe VI of France etc etc. I'm sure that the good folks at Paradox will be able to come up with some sort of script for it...surely??

We should make these stack, I want to see Johan Jonhnssonssonssonssonssonsson :)

Hah!

Robert: My character's name is Johan Jonhnssonssonssonssonssonsson!
Ted: Well.. my character's name is Stephen Charlesonsonsonsonsonsonsonsonsonsonsonson!! It's longer!
Robert: It's not the length that's important, it's how you play the game.
Ted: :(

Last edited:
If a character with one becomes especially notable, say a minor son of a minor family taking off and conquering half of europe. Might he found a dynasty using this as a title?
i.e. Godfrey Fitzwilliam of dynasty Mortimer uses a decision to found a new dynasty making his dynasty and his childrens Fitzwilliam or the like?
as from Godwins triumphs come Godwinssons and likewise Leofrics, Angevins and well all the rest, well except hapsburgs who weirdly stick to it.
or will that sort of trouble have to be done by editing saves and dynasty file as it was in CK?
will adding dynasties through dynasties files in mid game even be possible? it was in CK but from EU3 generally adding things without starting a new game leads to all sorts of trouble.

If Dynasties are not predefined but entries in the save, then new could be made on demand so the once great problem of random courtiers popping up of your dynasty would be gone as it would be as is needed. And if there are these titles, then that could well be where from along side the old location system of course.

OK, some things I've noticed in the screenies:

So among the titles the former King did no have... there's no Earldom on it, so maybe Dukes and Kings will no longer have to be "Counts" of a province. Nice addition if so.

The tooltip currently only lists the three most prominent titles.

Thanks for the diary.
Ordinal numbers might not be exactly from the period, but nowadays we use them to describe it and it has this nice royal feel to it. So it fits in the atmosphere of the game and it helps with organization and quick overview, for which epithets -however much I'd like them in the game as well- are less suited.

Thanks. Regnal numbers were used in the period, especially the later period (remember, the game ends in 1452.) There are some early examples even from places like Scandinavia, though the use was inconsistent. In any case, regnal numbers were usually assigned to previous kings down the road.

Whether accurate for the earliest date or not, I think ordinal numbers will be good to have. In my CK1 Iberian games, I have like five Sanchos per generation and three Alfonsos :)

A question I have is, say my old king is named Alfonso VI, he marries a certain heiress from Aquitaine and their heir is Alphonse. Will he be known as Alphonse I or Alfonso VII when he takes the throne? Ah, the challenges of a multi-cultural family.

If it were any other developer I would agree, but these guys somehow managed to make clouds/fog of war in DW lag even monster PCs. Paradox never fails to disappoint me with their technical incompetence.

That early and completely unfounded speculation has been denied by us from day one, and confirmed to be false numerous times by players. The lag was caused by the new achievement system (admittedly our fault, but fixed in a patch.)

Whether accurate for the earliest date or not, I think ordinal numbers will be good to have. In my CK1 Iberian games, I have like five Sanchos per generation and three Alfonsos :)

A question I have is, say my old king is named Alfonso VI, he marries a certain heiress from Aquitaine and their heir is Alphonse. Will he be known as Alphonse I or Alfonso VII when he takes the throne? Ah, the challenges of a multi-cultural family.

He would be Alphonse I, though we might have time to tweak this eventually.