• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #125 - Christian Rulers in The Iron Century

Welcome to another Dev Diary about The Iron Century. Today we are going to talk a bit about some of the Christian rulers you can find in the new bookmark. Note, most of the rulers shown here will have randomized traits.

Clipboard01.png

Here for a glimpse of what Christian Europe look like in 936.

King Louis IV of West Francia: Louis is among the last kings of the Karling dynasty. He was followed by Lothair, his eldest son, and later his grandson Louis V, which ended up as the final monarch of the dynasty. In our bookmark, King Louis is 15 years old and has recently returned from England to rule his homeland. Under his rule is the strongman Hugues the Great of the Capet dynasty, as well as unruly Occitans in the south and the newly settled Normans to the north. If he can only quell his vassals and their bids for power, West Francia is a strong base for the future of the dynasty.

Clipboard02.png

King Rudolf of Arles: Originally the king of Upper-Burgundy, he collected the two halves of Burgundy to form the new Kingdom of Arles. The Italians to the east, led by the industrious Hugues of the Bosonid dynasty, form a threat to the capital of Arles as well as the area around Provence. Besides that, Rudolf is in a good position to ally with most of the rulers around him, though his Kingdom is small enough to be tossed aside by the larger powers at play.

Clipboard03.png

Duke Boleslav (the Cruel) of Bohemia: The Bohemian rose to the title of Duke through the fratricide of his brother (Good King) Wenceslaus. Though his rise to power was bloody, Boleslav ruled well and was known as an efficient administrator. Early in his rule he ended the tribute to the German king Otto, and ended up in conflict with the Germans for the next 15-20 years. Boleslav is a tough start, as he is surrounded by pagans in every direction, be it with the Polish rulers to the north, Hungary to the south or Kievan Rus to the far east.

Clipboard04.png

Tsar Peter of the Bulgarian Empire: Son of the first Emperor of Bulgaria, he is the heir to a strong legacy. To the south and east is the Byzantine Empire, the Bulgarians have a long history fraught with conflicts and interactions with them. To the north the Hungarians have pushed into the Carpathian Basin, and taken huge chunks of land that used to be under Bulgarian rule. As an extra note here, the Bulgarian Empire is actually a DeJure Empire in the 936 start, spanning the Kingdoms of Bulgaria and Wallachia.

Clipboard05.png

Basileus Romanos of the Byzantine Empire: We could not have a list of Christian rulers without the Byzantines, could we? Romanos of the Lekapenos dynasty is the co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire, together with Konstantinos of the Makedon dynasty (he holds Nikomedeia and Herakleia), but he is the elder of the two and functionally the one calling the shots. Though the Byzantine Empire has been through a rough ride lately, they have recently come to a peace agreement with their northern neighbors in Bulgaria, and the muslims are shattering at their southern and eastern fronts. With the rise of the many Shia and Sunni rulers (the Fatimids, the Buyids, the Sallarids, the Jannabids, the Hamdanids, the Ikhshidids, the Al-Thamalis etc) in the vacuum left by the weakened Abbasid Caliphate, the Byzantine Empire are posed to take back some of their ancient lands as their enemies are busy fighting one another.

Clipboard06.png

Hopefully you have found this little look into the some of the different Christian rulers (and of course, there are plenty more for you to find when you get access to The Iron Century yourself). We look forward to see you again tomorrow when we’ll take a look at the Muslim rulers who populate the map in the year 936!

PS, for those who enjoyed the first chapter of Thankmar's Rebellion, here's the second chapter! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-iron-century-mini-aar.1179523/#post-25478718

• 1Love
Reactions:
The system itself is fine. As a player it's stable and easy to use. It's just the AI that can't handle it. Plus the general tendency of the AI to get into civil wars all the time

then giving the byzantine AI a fragile government system is not a good idea right? Give them some stability buff like same for the mongol via setting

The real question is, what state is Mumu/Munster in? That is what what matters, how is n00b isle doing during the iron century?

When someone dies in your dungeon & have no living relatives, you should get their gold. It's only realistic. Also, you should get their artifacts. At the very least their should be a mechanic as to how to the odds are of you catching them with their riches on them & how much riches they would have based off opponents (Intrigue*2*martial*1.25) + greed (if greedy =+25/ your (intrigue*3*martial*1.5) or something formula so its more likely that you catch them with more money when they are greedy.
People don't keep gold and artifacts with them in the oubliette.

then giving the byzantine AI a fragile government system is not a good idea right? Give them some stability buff like same for the mongol via setting

They need to teach the AI that just because it can revoke a viceroyalty without getting an opinion penalty from all the vassals, that doesn't mean it should try to revoke it. That was really the root of the constant civil wars in the one game I played as a vassal of an empire with Imperial elective succession.

The real question is, what state is Mumu/Munster in? That is what what matters, how is n00b isle doing during the iron century?
Surely you mean Suðreyjar?

Surely you mean Suðreyjar?
I did not know the Vikings made it past Dublin, Waterford and Wexford. Were they really that deep into the Island?

I'm on the Imperator team, but the Iron Century is primarily something I made in my sparetime, so it's natural that I am the one who present it and answer questions.

Thanks for your efforts, Snow Crystal. Iron Century looks really impressive and it's strange to think this is largely just one dev's work! Not sure if it's planned for a dev diary or not, but I'd love to know more about how you got the ball rolling on Iron Century and how you got PDX behind you to get this done. I'm sure all the devs have little side projects here and there but not every day they make their way into the main game like this! Paradox sounds like a great place to work!

Thanks for your efforts, Snow Crystal. Iron Century looks really impressive and it's strange to think this is largely just one dev's work! Not sure if it's planned for a dev diary or not, but I'd love to know more about how you got the ball rolling on Iron Century and how you got PDX behind you to get this done. I'm sure all the devs have little side projects here and there but not every day they make their way into the main game like this! Paradox sounds like a great place to work!

It's not really planned, but I can probably talk a little bit about it. Just before Christmas (I think it was the 22nd) I had been working a lot on Imperator and took a break from making some events on it to clear up some bugs from HF that I had accidentally made.

Randomly for fun while waiting for stuff to load I was reading about Otto I, and thought "What do the world even look like if I just slap in the random dare for fun?". After reading a bit more up on it, I thought 936 was a cool year that happened around a lot of other interesting stuff.

So I open the game in 936 at Otto's Coronation date (yeah, this really never changed), and just started checking stuff out. At first it was about 2000 errors across the world.

So I test it out a little bit and try fixing the history and clearing out the errors just in Norway and Iceland, and I manage to power through it pretty quickly. So after genuinely wondering how hard it'd be to actually make a bookmark, I clear up all my Imperator tasks in a couple of days over Christmas.

With the rest of my Christmas holidays free, I start doing a whole bunch of reading up on the 10th century and start putting together history and fill in things wherever I can. Originally I just planned to make a mod out of it.

After randomly talking to Tuscany (Dan) after we got back to work, we started talking about the bookmark. He suggested making it official, and the ball started rolling.

So I've poured several hundreds of hours of my spare time into it, and received a lot of help from friends and betas, both making parts of the history and testing it out. 5-6 months later and here we are.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I did not know the Vikings made it past Dublin, Waterford and Wexford. Were they really that deep into the Island?
They are when I play them.

Is that No as in "The update is not Friday," or No as in "The update could be on Friday, but that's not the reason there won't be any hotfixes before then"?:D

It's not really planned, but I can probably talk a little bit about it. Just before Christmas (I think it was the 22nd) I had been working a lot on Imperator and took a break from making some events on it to clear up some bugs from HF that I had accidentally made.

Randomly for fun while waiting for stuff to load I was reading about Otto I, and thought "What do the world even look like if I just slap in the random dare for fun?". After reading a bit more up on it, I thought 936 was a cool year that happened around a lot of other interesting stuff.

So I open the game in 936 at Otto's Coronation date (yeah, this really never changed), and just started checking stuff out. At first it was about 2000 errors across the world.

So I test it out a little bit and try fixing the history and clearing out the errors just in Norway and Iceland, and I manage to power through it pretty quickly. So after genuinely wondering how hard it'd be to actually make a bookmark, I clear up all my Imperator tasks in a couple of days over Christmas.

With the rest of my Christmas holidays free, I start doing a whole bunch of reading up on the 10th century and start putting together history and fill in things wherever I can. Originally I just planned to make a mod out of it.

After randomly talking to Tuscany (Dan) after we got back to work, we started talking about the bookmark. He suggested making it official, and the ball started rolling.

So I've poured several hundreds of hours of my spare time into it, and received a lot of help from friends and betas, both making parts of the history and testing it out. 5-6 months later and here we are.

Man, PDX is the only company I know off where an employee would do hundreds of hours of unpaid work on his own initiative. It really is impressive.

Man, PDX is the only company I know off where an employee would do hundreds of hours of unpaid work on his own initiative. It really is impressive.

Man, I would love to do the same. Just.... need.... to.... get.... an AI degree first

Ahhhh Already loving this. Really looking forward to play Louis IV, since Charles the Bald is one of my favourite starts. Securing the Carolingians in West Francia by slowly taming the great lords one by one! hell yea!

Thanks for that. Love that your falling down a modding rabbit hole over Christmas indirectly led to Iron Century! :D Grateful to everyone involved in making it happen.

What about Rus?