• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #125 - Christian Rulers in The Iron Century

Welcome to another Dev Diary about The Iron Century. Today we are going to talk a bit about some of the Christian rulers you can find in the new bookmark. Note, most of the rulers shown here will have randomized traits.

Clipboard01.png

Here for a glimpse of what Christian Europe look like in 936.

King Louis IV of West Francia: Louis is among the last kings of the Karling dynasty. He was followed by Lothair, his eldest son, and later his grandson Louis V, which ended up as the final monarch of the dynasty. In our bookmark, King Louis is 15 years old and has recently returned from England to rule his homeland. Under his rule is the strongman Hugues the Great of the Capet dynasty, as well as unruly Occitans in the south and the newly settled Normans to the north. If he can only quell his vassals and their bids for power, West Francia is a strong base for the future of the dynasty.

Clipboard02.png

King Rudolf of Arles: Originally the king of Upper-Burgundy, he collected the two halves of Burgundy to form the new Kingdom of Arles. The Italians to the east, led by the industrious Hugues of the Bosonid dynasty, form a threat to the capital of Arles as well as the area around Provence. Besides that, Rudolf is in a good position to ally with most of the rulers around him, though his Kingdom is small enough to be tossed aside by the larger powers at play.

Clipboard03.png

Duke Boleslav (the Cruel) of Bohemia: The Bohemian rose to the title of Duke through the fratricide of his brother (Good King) Wenceslaus. Though his rise to power was bloody, Boleslav ruled well and was known as an efficient administrator. Early in his rule he ended the tribute to the German king Otto, and ended up in conflict with the Germans for the next 15-20 years. Boleslav is a tough start, as he is surrounded by pagans in every direction, be it with the Polish rulers to the north, Hungary to the south or Kievan Rus to the far east.

Clipboard04.png

Tsar Peter of the Bulgarian Empire: Son of the first Emperor of Bulgaria, he is the heir to a strong legacy. To the south and east is the Byzantine Empire, the Bulgarians have a long history fraught with conflicts and interactions with them. To the north the Hungarians have pushed into the Carpathian Basin, and taken huge chunks of land that used to be under Bulgarian rule. As an extra note here, the Bulgarian Empire is actually a DeJure Empire in the 936 start, spanning the Kingdoms of Bulgaria and Wallachia.

Clipboard05.png

Basileus Romanos of the Byzantine Empire: We could not have a list of Christian rulers without the Byzantines, could we? Romanos of the Lekapenos dynasty is the co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire, together with Konstantinos of the Makedon dynasty (he holds Nikomedeia and Herakleia), but he is the elder of the two and functionally the one calling the shots. Though the Byzantine Empire has been through a rough ride lately, they have recently come to a peace agreement with their northern neighbors in Bulgaria, and the muslims are shattering at their southern and eastern fronts. With the rise of the many Shia and Sunni rulers (the Fatimids, the Buyids, the Sallarids, the Jannabids, the Hamdanids, the Ikhshidids, the Al-Thamalis etc) in the vacuum left by the weakened Abbasid Caliphate, the Byzantine Empire are posed to take back some of their ancient lands as their enemies are busy fighting one another.

Clipboard06.png

Hopefully you have found this little look into the some of the different Christian rulers (and of course, there are plenty more for you to find when you get access to The Iron Century yourself). We look forward to see you again tomorrow when we’ll take a look at the Muslim rulers who populate the map in the year 936!

PS, for those who enjoyed the first chapter of Thankmar's Rebellion, here's the second chapter! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-iron-century-mini-aar.1179523/#post-25478718

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Snow Crystal, this is unrelated to the topic, but will there be any hotfixes coming soon before this update rolls out? Because there are bugs still littering around, kind of ruining the game, like the father only influencing bastards stats.

As far as I know, there are no hotfixes planned before the update.

He is meant to be tribal, not feudal. After a merge, he had accidentally gotten access to a Castle (the bastard). I made sure last night that he lost access to all Castles, and he has returned to his huts.
Regarding castles and huts, are Pommeranians still feudal as early as of 867 startdate?

So is the Bulgarian Empire in other start dates, or not? What will happen to Serbia. Without Bulgaria it will look awkward sticking out of the ERE and if memory serves at no start time do the Byzantines fully control Serbia. If the Bulgarian Empire is just the Iron Century I guess it doesn't matter that much. Personally I think it would make sense to make Serbia part of the De Jure Bulgarian Empire. Both are South Slavic and it would fit nicely with the Bulgarian Empire as currently described.

Also is De Jurr Carpathian Croatia just the Iron century, or does it extend to other start dates as well. I feel like it should remain a part of Carpathian since in none of the of the other start dates do the Byzantines really control Croatia outside of a few coastal counties while Hungary at times control the whole country. Unless I'm mistaken Croatia was part of the Western Roman Empire when it fell not the Eastern Roman Empire.

is byzantine imperial system gonna be fixed so that it doesn't implode within the first 100 years?

Duke Boleslav (the Cruel) of Bohemia: The Bohemian rose to the title of Duke through the fratricide of his brother (Good King) Wenceslaus. Though his rise to power was bloody, Boleslav ruled well and was known as an efficient administrator. Early in his rule he ended the tribute to the German king Otto, and ended up in conflict with the Germans for the next 15-20 years. Boleslav is a tough start, as he is surrounded by pagans in every direction, be it with the Polish rulers to the north, Hungary to the south or Kievan Rus to the far east.

May not have to do with the date directly, but this reminds me. Since you're working on CK2 content in your free time, have you looked back at Great Moravia being formable or any of the things you were thinking about adding, like the ability for the player to split Sicily into titular kingdoms?

I'm on the Imperator team, but the Iron Century is primarily something I made in my sparetime, so it's natural that I am the one who present it and answer questions.

A big thank you then. Please - convince Johan that mana is not the way to go with game design ^^

I'm on the Imperator team, but the Iron Century is primarily something I made in my sparetime, so it's natural that I am the one who present it and answer questions.

You truly are a river to your people.

Will it be possible to create Bulgaria empire by decision in other start dates?

For earlier starts, have you considered creating a special CB for Bulgaria against ERE in order to force them to recognize Bulgaria as an empire? I think that would make more sense than a simple decision.

New here by the way, thanks for the awesome game and all your efforts to make it even better!

Last edited: