• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #124 - Recommended Characters in The Iron Century

Welcome to the first developer diary about ‘The Iron Century’ this week. We will post a Developer Diary every day this week, show-casing some interesting starts and other minor things you might expect to see in the new bookmark.

CK2 - The Iron Century Art.png

On the 7th of August 936, Otto I was crowned King of the Germans. He initiated his arduous campaign to crush his rivals and reconquer the lost territory in Italy to reform the Holy Roman Empire. The Magyars settled down in the Carpathian Basin and began to make their mark on the world as they conquered and pillaged their neighbors, becoming feared across Europe. In the north the Christians were trying to push into the Scandinavian Peninsula to start converting the pagan kings, but the Germanic faith still stood strong among the vikings. In Baghdad far to the south-east, the ancient Abbasid Caliphate that once ruled an empire stretching from Persia to Hispania finally fell to infighting, left only with the heartland of their former empire. And on the shores of Africa a new rival rose up in the form of the Fatimid Caliphate, ready to fill the vacant regions left behind by their adversary.

We know a lot of people have asked for a 10th century bookmark, and similarly we have long wanted one as well, as the 10th century had a lot of interesting history to offer. It is the birth of the Fatimid caliphate, the fall of the Abbasid caliphate, the rise of the Ottonian dynasty and the decline of the Karling dynasty.

Clipboard01.png

We have set up six recommended characters for the start date, though that is not to say we haven’t filled the world with other interesting characters for you guys to try out as well.

King Otto of Germany: In many ways Otto is the protagonist of the bookmark. He has just been crowned King, and has quite the task ahead of himself in trying to put together the Holy Roman Empire and beat back the pagan encroaching from the east (Hungarians) and the north (Norse tribes). To the west, the vassal holding the Stem-Duchy of Lotharingia (Lorraine), Duke Giselbert, recently changed his allegiance to the young King Louis Karling of West Francia. Not to mention the tumultuous kingship of Italy, that will be needed to recreate the Holy Roman Empire.

Clipboard02.png

Caliph al-Qaim: Only two years have passed since al-Qaim took up the position of Caliph after the death of his father, the legendary al-Mahdi who carved out a nation at the shores of North Africa. With the weak Abbasid Caliphate having been shattered these last decades, the Fatimids are trying to take on their rightful positions as overlords of the Muslim world, but not all their vassals are as fond of them as they might think. Only a few years after our start Abu Yazid would start a revolt that would plunge the newly founded Caliphate into a crisis that almost broke it apart. And in the east a new threat rises in the form of Al-Ikhshid, the newly appointed governor of Egypt who is ready to support the Abbasids.

Clipboard03.png

King Æthelstan of England: As the first king of a truly collected England, Æthelstan is very much in the prime of his power. But only a year later, historically speaking, he had to fight the coalition of the Kingdoms of Dublin, Alba and Strathclyde in the Battle of Brunaburh. His victory secured the new frontiers in the north, but if he had lost? Who can say what would have happened with the Isles if that had happened.

Clipboard04.png

Abu Tahir of the Jannabid Emirate: The Jannabids were notorious around our bookmark as they entered Mecca under false pretenses and slaughtered the pilgrims, and brought the Black Stone back to their capital and held it hostage for decades. They continued to raid the lands of the Abbasids and the Ikhshidids, until they eventually faltered and started to diminish in the latter half of the 10th century.

Clipboard05.png

King Árpád Zoltan of Hungary: Not many years has passed since the Magyars descended from the steppes and into basin, pushing out the Bulgarians and anyone else who stood in their path. However, now they are one of the few pagans left in the area, surrounded by the Germans to the west, Bohemians to the north and the Bulgarian Empire to the south. Led by the Árpád dynasty, it is time to find their destiny, be it as the raiders and conquerors of Europe, or (as they did historically) become one of the defenders of Christianity.

Clipboard06.png

King Hakon (the Good) of Norway: Young Hakon is 16 year old as he lands in Norway. Raised by King Æthelstan of England, he has now returned to his take up overlordship of his country. Not long ago his half-brother Erik Bloodaxe killed two of their other brothers and took control of the land, but he has recently been thrown out by the Norwegian Jarls. Still brooding in the north of Scotland with his army, he can still be seen as a threat to Hakon's rule, but he is not the most immediate one. As a Catholic, Hakon is certain to be in trouble as all his vassals follow the old ways, as does his pagan neighbors to the north and east.

Clipboard07.png

We hope you guys are as excited to test out the new bookmark as we are for you to see it. Tomorrow we will talk about some interesting Christian characters you guys will be able to try out!

PS, for those interested in AARs, I've asked WJS to test out the Iron Century patch and write one. I love the ones I've read so far, so hopefully you will as well :) Here's a link! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-rebellion-an-iron-century-mini-aar.1179523/

• 1Love
Reactions:
In all of my CK2 years I never imagined a Dev Diary to include the words "the decline of the Karling dynasty" :eek::eek::eek:

Honestly, I feel like this is the case with a lot of titles. It is just a side-effect of having a really poor static CoA system, which makes several CoAs a hassle to deal with. I don't disagree with you though, it would be nice having another CoA for pre-Bastard England.

Yes. What's up with all the Norwegians all of a sudden (and I am saying this as a Norwegian myself)

Tribal.

No idea for the future, but definitely not for this specific update.

Isn't there a code switch that is used in modding the title files that, if I recall correctly, is used on Lombardy, that could be implemented for England in the pre-1066 bookmarks?

I know this update isn't about the other bookmarks, but are there any plans to touch up 867 in light of 936 being a thing now? For example, the dev diary reads

Not many years has passed since the Magyars descended from the steppes and into basin, pushing out the Bulgarians and anyone else who stood in their path.

But in CK2 this happens almost immediately when 867 happens, depending on how long the war drags out maybe 870 at the latest. Can we finally disable that unhistorically early war, now that the magyars have their place in another bookmark?

Also, now that an empire-tier Bulgarian title exists, can we get a decision to form it in other bookmarks, either earlier (If we want to create the first empire ourselves) or later (In the case of a particularly successful second empire in the 13th century)?

Lastly, can we finally correct the injustice that is Simeon I's stats and traits? He's the greatest ruler Bulgaria ever had but CK2 has him with fixed (non-random) terrible traits that I can't find any support for. I'm referring specifically to how he has a bad martial education with single-digit stats in everythiing and a hairlip to boot, when he famously received an excellent religious education in constantinople (The Byzantines called him "Simeon the half-greek"), and looked like this, no hairlip.

Last edited:
Lastly, can we finally correct the injustice that is Simeon I's stats and traits? He's the greatest ruler Bulgaria ever had but CK2 has him with fixed (non-random) terrible traits that I can't find any support for. I'm referring specifically to how he has a bad martial education with single-digit stats in everythiing and a hairlip to boot, when he famously received an excellent religious education in constantinople (The Byzantines called him "Simeon the half-greek"), and looked like this, no hairlip.

I expect that he like the other rulers has random stats and as such checking his traits won't help.

Also, now that an empire-tier Bulgarian title exists, can we get a decision to form it in other bookmarks, either earlier (If we want to create the first empire ourselves) or later (In the case of a particularly successful second empire in the 13th century)?
It's already been stated before that we will get a decision.

I expect that he like the other rulers has random stats and as such checking his traits won't help.

He has had hairlip in literally 100% of my games, and I'm like 98% sure about the bad martial education too. If that's random then I don't know what to say anymore.

It's already been stated before that we will get a decision.

Great!

Will Qarmatians get their own features/flavor?

King Árpád Zoltan of Hungary: Not many years has passed since the Magyars descended from the steppes and into basin, pushing out the Bulgarians and anyone else who stood in their path. However, now they are one of the few pagans left in the area, surrounded by the Germans to the west, Bohemians to the north and the Bulgarian Empire to the south. Led by the Árpád dynasty, it is time to find their destiny, be it as the raiders and conquerors of Europe, or (as they did historically) become one of the defenders of Christianity.

Bulgarian Empire to the south.

?!?!!

Does this mean there's finally a Bulgarian Empire title :D

He has had hairlip in literally 100% of my games, and I'm like 98% sure about the bad martial education too. If that's random then I don't know what to say anymore.

No harelip, only lisp
Martial altogether at 8 is likely arguable
Code:
712 = {
    name="Simeon"
    dynasty=8636
    martial=5
    diplomacy=6
    intrigue=4
    stewardship=6
    religion="tengri_pagan"
    culture="bulgarian"
    trait="deceitful"
    trait="kind"
    trait="cynical"
    trait="lisp"
    trait="tough_soldier"
    father=70382
    mother=168075
    850.1.1={
        birth="850.1.1"
    }
    864.1.1={
        religion="orthodox"
    }
    927.5.27={
        death="927.5.27"
    }
}

Wikipedia has him born in 864, but the game in 850.
Hmm....so in 867 he should be three.
Maybe he was made older to be playable as adult as a fanservice, but wasn't intended to be adult and thus originally
not thought important enough to get the details right, so to speak.
Just my speculation on why it is as it is.

No harelip, only lisp
Martial altogether at 8 is likely arguable
Code:
712 = {
    name="Simeon"
    dynasty=8636
    martial=5
    diplomacy=6
    intrigue=4
    stewardship=6
    religion="tengri_pagan"
    culture="bulgarian"
    trait="deceitful"
    trait="kind"
    trait="cynical"
    trait="lisp"
    trait="tough_soldier"
    father=70382
    mother=168075
    850.1.1={
        birth="850.1.1"
    }
    864.1.1={
        religion="orthodox"
    }
    927.5.27={
        death="927.5.27"
    }
}

Wikipedia has him born in 864, but the game in 850.
Hmm....so in 867 he should be three.
Maybe he was made older to be playable as adult as a fanservice, but wasn't intended to be adult and thus originally
not thought important enough to get the details right, so to speak.
Just my speculation on why it is as it is.

My mistake, I got one mouth-based negative congenital condition mixed up with another.

Your theory seems probable, even though as an adult he’s still not landed and thus not playable. Anyway with this increased (as in, > 0) attention on Bulgaria during that time period, this seems like the opportunity to right these wrongs.

Your theory seems probable, even though as an adult he’s still not landed and thus not playable.

So tested. He's landed as duke of Strymon, son and vassal of Boris of Bulgaria in 3.1.1.

I deleted my earlier post