• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #120 - Tech and Combat changes

Hello! In the next patch we will be doing some small adjustments to Technologies and Terrain Combat Modifiers, and today we will talk a bit about those changes. The main objectives were to make deciding what military technologies to invest in a bit more interesting and rebalance the value of terrain with regards to the possible (large) modifiers given by tactics. Before we start, there is the caveat that numbers are not yet final, there might be some adjustments needed after we receive testing feedback.

Technologies

Y0ynqJFnyT6Rrm6-tj2xKMNEodD5jlY8ajchyg2_DGAR4CPmAD0J2KvLya-vpUyPFYaJ6zBSPB2t2UOWTrJVEAWQ3-bvIakYBJANg40E0S6zORRg0nwThIOJzAVrlx7zKM3a4uSr

This is how the Technologies window looks now. City and Temple infrastructure were joined together, while their tax bonus revenue was slightly lowered. Shipbuilding is now an Economy Tech. The Military technologies were changed so now Infantry and Cavalry tech increase morale (up to 40%) and defense (up to 60%) of Infantry and Cavalry units, respectively. On the other hand, Skirmish and Melee technologies affect the Attack value of troops (up to 60%) and decrease the probability of using generic bad tactics. Finally, Military Organization now gives only a low overall bonus to morale (up to 20%) but keeps its importance for Retinue Size, and we added now also Reorganization speed (morale recovery) of armies.

Light Infantry and Elephants, being neither skirmish nor melee specialized troops, do not increase Attack damage. Light infantry base values were bumped a bit to compensate for this. This means that Light Infantry and Elephants will have a bigger impact with low technology, losing a bit of their edge as technology advances. But Light Infantry will also be more relevant in difficult terrain (see below).

Historical Setup of Tech Levels

We also changed the initial values of technologies a little, to be more historically asymmetrical. In the picture above you can see the Constantinople values at game start. As an advanced society, Constantinople can build more advanced buildings, and has increased Military Organization and Legalism. But the Frankish lands will have some superiority in Melee and Cavalry. The Frank/Norman Knights were a fearsome sight on the Battlefield.

Combat Modifiers

The combat tactics interplay can give a bonus of up to 900% to some troop types while making others non-attackers. To make terrain, especially difficult terrain like Mountains, more relevant for a battle, the defender bonus was increased for most infantry types, especially for light infantry (see the picture below).

Narrow Flank is a feature of a battle where the number of enemy troops that can attack is limited by the number of troops on the flank the gets the bonus. We changed Narrow Flank to both become more probable in difficult terrain and be modified in a more consistent way if you have a leader with the Battlefield Terrain Master trait. The effect of Narrow Flank was also extended to the skirmish phase, to have a larger impact in a battle.

FJ6j2H0w6d-5tEQtSlxzYkkyPEtKCPcP-o-AwyeXvFZ4AEdZFgvLinIU3YifEgGzK3MCMjSw0KFem5yOGBLfRVsEzOkIyyCTVYjyOIl5n-RtFl431BGqvEpn3FVXSqq7e6i20yd-

We hope that these changes will give you players more control over the battle conditions and thus increase the influence your decisions have over the battle outcome. Together with the tech rebalance, we hope these changes will improve the CK2 experience for both new and experienced players.

Finally, as stated before, these numbers are not final, and if you feel strongly about something, let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see the combat system getting some love, it desperately needed it. Do you think there are any chances of you looking at tactics before that patch is finalized? With their ridiculously high bonuses and how random and inconsistent tactics are when it come to their prerequisites, they're really not helping combat feel like an interactive and rewarding part of gameplay.

1. Please get rid of the feeling that "biggest army wins." History is full of fantastic upsets and the game would feel far more meaningful if there was more RNG in the outcome of a battle. As it stands now, if I have 20pct more boots on the ground with levies I expect to win, and I nearly always will.

2. Please fix the Byzantine retinue. It is currently useless due to the bad tactics for Horse Archers.

3. Please make Knights more powerful and impactful. They are currently rather lackluster due to poor retinue combinations and mediocre tactics. This can be done by changing the Knight retinue to all Heavy Cavalry. This will also be fun because Knights are cool. Id like to see the presence of Heavy Cavalry being more impactful to battles via tactics.

4. Please fix how technology spreads to islands.

I love CK2. Keep up the great work! But please see point number 1!

That really isn't how the CK2 combat system works.
I've won battles against 4x larger armies before and I'm sure I'll do so again in CK2.
It's bloody hard to do, but it can be done.

The Frank/Norman Knights were a fearsome sight on the Battlefield.

Is that also true for German knights? After all, I don't see a historical difference between French and German knights.

I like the announced changes so far, with the exception of merging city & temple tech - it would be better to merge city and trade tech. I also would strongly recommend to make the new "minor patch" as you call it, save game compatible. It's really frustrating having to begin again and again from scratch, just to have the latest stuff in game.
Considering the bugfixes of the great works /historical wonders I'd like to suggest to add the Buddhas of Bamiyan as existing wonder to the world map.