• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #112 - Wonderful News

Good afternoon

It has been a while since we wrote one of these and I am sure you are all dying to know what we have been working on, because of course, we have been working away on the next exciting thing. Our next update will be free and will focus on a brand new feature: Wonders.

Cathedrals, Fortresses, Pyramids and many many more wonders are planned for the next update. By investing a significant amount of gold and time you will be able to build a wondrous building. These will be built in stages meaning that even if you cannot finish it in your lifetime, your descendants will be able to finish what you started.

AZYZmx0vlS_ZH2iQsqil7Oz6TjbZleFU5yy_UWqUVFRKeIMZkd9h9qIHgmVChU1scVtGPei7_IxMYr0q9TsoM1hiv6POGSfXjhyq-s0O5HUEXwcww9JuhNXpy0ouzkT0cyM8wZeE

Wonders and their stages

Now even though many Cathedrals or Great Libraries may be built, we want to ensure they are not all the same, so it will be possible to add upgrades to your wonders, everything from spikes to gargoyles, to gardens, each of these giving unique modifiers and sometimes unlocks new content.

FEM4wFahykamwv5bYxsZAyp0-Ld7cIbhvP6tabeSgt__fpL05Y-LWqzAujBbUGm1T7FwSE7gIkrOR3kvRP178WOfHAyQkJVaN0DBaRwa8zb4ICPh41EZW74z-26fR2mYoG0S_UK0

Upgrade Icons

We will also be adding some prebuilt historical wonders to the game, to represent already existing buildings, such as the Pyramids of Giza and the Colosseum of Rome. (Maybe you can even add an upgrade or two)

If you have fun ideas for any of this please let us know. I can’t promise it will get in, but it just might.

We hope you’re as excited about this as we are and please remember that all the art is work in progress.

Will the special building related blood lines you can get for building ten castles, cities or temples have anything special to do with wonders, or even unlock special super-variants of a wonder? Would having the cruel builder bloodline let us build a CK version of Harrenhal? :p

I'm wondering how much of a gameplay impact these will have. These potentially have the ability to be late-game game changers. As in, if somebody has a wonder will you definitely notice because of the importance, or will it be 'oh, a wonder, that's neat'.

Also, not all wonders need to be equal or have the same cost or impact on gameplay.

This has the potential to revolutionize the game.

I'm wondering how much of a gameplay impact these will have. These potentially have the ability to be late-game game changers. As in, if somebody has a wonder will you definitely notice because of the importance, or will it be 'oh, a wonder, that's neat'.

Also, not all wonders need to be equal or have the same cost or impact on gameplay.

This has the potential to revolutionize the game.

I think wonders should have similar modifer impacts as bloodlines have and warrior lodges. Maybe even adional active decion options. what can be triggered

CTRL-group unit hotkeys when? Every other PDX GSG has them, including CK1.

I just hope wonders aren't locked behind technology.
For example, requiring Improved Keeps 6 to build a palace.
That'd be quite silly.

(and the more I think about it, the more silly the techtech system seems)

That'd be quite silly.

Quite the opposite, IMO, tech levels are a pretty natural way to restrict things and make the game feel different and changing as time goes on.

That'd be quite silly.

Quite the opposite, IMO, tech levels are a pretty natural way to restrict things and make the game feel different and changing as time goes on.
You could lock events that hasten the construction, decrease chances of bad events and have construction time shortened with a better tech. Not to mention that "upgrades" to wonders would make sense to be tied to techs.

What would be great if Wonder construction generated tech points while it goes.

You could lock events that hasten the construction, decrease chances of bad events and have construction time shortened with a better tech. Not to mention that "upgrades" to wonders would make sense to be tied to techs.

What would be great if Wonder construction generated tech points while it goes.
That's true, I was thinking more in the terms of soft restrictions than hard ones - not "You can only make a palace after roughly 1200 AD" but "By 1200 AD your selection of palaces to make is better and they're easier - not just because you have more money". As long as it's different enough - stuff like societies, for example, staying unchanged through 700 years, makes one feel the world is static.

Money can buy anything.
If I don't know how to build something like Hagia Sophia, I'm sure the Greeks do.
Sure, it'd be super expensive to hire Greek architects and master builders, but I have the money.
Ten thousand gold is not much for me.I'll give twice that much for good measure.
And I'm pretty sure the Chinese know how to build big walls. Nevermind the 100% increase of cost.

Have wonders cost something like 5-10k gold. And if you don't have the tech, then double the cost.
And that could work for normal buildings as well.

Good afternoon

It has been a while since we wrote one of these and I am sure you are all dying to know what we have been working on, because of course, we have been working away on the next exciting thing. Our next update will be free and will focus on a brand new feature: Wonders.

Cathedrals, Fortresses, Pyramids and many many more wonders are planned for the next update. By investing a significant amount of gold and time you will be able to build a wondrous building. These will be built in stages meaning that even if you cannot finish it in your lifetime, your descendants will be able to finish what you started.

AZYZmx0vlS_ZH2iQsqil7Oz6TjbZleFU5yy_UWqUVFRKeIMZkd9h9qIHgmVChU1scVtGPei7_IxMYr0q9TsoM1hiv6POGSfXjhyq-s0O5HUEXwcww9JuhNXpy0ouzkT0cyM8wZeE

Wonders and their stages

Now even though many Cathedrals or Great Libraries may be built, we want to ensure they are not all the same, so it will be possible to add upgrades to your wonders, everything from spikes to gargoyles, to gardens, each of these giving unique modifiers and sometimes unlocks new content.

FEM4wFahykamwv5bYxsZAyp0-Ld7cIbhvP6tabeSgt__fpL05Y-LWqzAujBbUGm1T7FwSE7gIkrOR3kvRP178WOfHAyQkJVaN0DBaRwa8zb4ICPh41EZW74z-26fR2mYoG0S_UK0

Upgrade Icons

We will also be adding some prebuilt historical wonders to the game, to represent already existing buildings, such as the Pyramids of Giza and the Colosseum of Rome. (Maybe you can even add an upgrade or two)

If you have fun ideas for any of this please let us know. I can’t promise it will get in, but it just might.

We hope you’re as excited about this as we are and please remember that all the art is work in progress.
This is going to be awesome, am getting some pillars of the earth vibes from this... I have always wanted to build cathedrals and other temples which are larger and grander in size than the base buildings, thank you paradox well done indeed am looking forward to this.