• After Action Reports RSS Feed

by Published on 05-12-2013 10:45  Number of Views: 2075 
    Categories:
    1. Crusader Kings
    Article Preview

December is indeed a dark month (at least here in Sweden) and Crusader Kings II takes place in the Dark Ages.
    So I thought I´d ask you a few dark questions now that the shadows are restless and stirring.

My second question:
    The souls of the dead are close in the darkness. It is time to contemplate your past; what character do you believe is most likely to haunt you and why?
    Be honest, what horrible things did you do to the poor soul?

by Published on 20-11-2013 13:42  Number of Views: 4192 
    Categories:
    1. Crusader Kings

So downloaded Sons of Abraham and I was having the standard game as Ireland in a TOG start, exploring the hilarity of jewish courtiers and loans thereof, pilgrimages that turned me into closet atheists without fail and the occasional Irish Band usurpation of Turkastan turning the aral sea into an Irish Catholic lake (Which is a story all its own, believe you me, you have not seen crusader kings lunacy until you see Irishmen fend off a Cuman invasion singlehanded and troll the Islamic world like it ain't no thing.

But then interesting things happened. I was called into a petty war over a single province by the king of Navarra, my father in law which dragged on for fucking ever because I only recently unified Ireland and I had zero boats and Galicia was taking its sweet time in attacking Navarra, which is when I got the Joan of Arc event chain (won't go into detail here but needless to say, this was fucking amazing) Lasairfionna the Maid of Ormond arrived at my court, the stories that generated where worth a book of their own, turning my king from Cynical to Zealous and aiding my efforts in coming to the aid of the King of Strathclyde in evicting the norse and having him swear to me, greatly improving my martial tech growth and generally being badass, so of course I married her to my heir (this is before I noticed the celibate trait and was like 'Damnit') who promptly got her pregnant because apparently he's a fucking beast. My king became a paragon of virtue, gaining the nickname the Holy, the college of Cardinals has three Irish cardinals at any one time and at least one Irish Pope. Not bad for my first 30 years of ruling.

Thats about the time I had my daughter, Sebdan, the child of SATAN.
    by Published on 17-10-2013 10:56  Number of Views: 3091 
    Categories:
    1. Crusader Kings
    Article Preview

A wise game writer once said: "Crusader Kings II is a majestic feudal sandbox, the greatest generator of hilarious medieval soap opera ever created."
    So here is a question for you: What is your best soap opera moment from Crusader Kings II?

by Published on 11-08-2013 07:40  Number of Views: 5830 
    Categories:
    1. Europa Universalis

Introduction

In all the years that I've played the Europa Universalis series I realized that I'd never played a Muslim nation. When I was selected for the beta I had recently finished reading the Dev Diary on Oman (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1450) and its historical significance from a trade route perspective. Given that Europa Universalis IV has a completely revamped trading system I thought that Oman - described as the “Portugal of the Muslim World” - would be quite interesting to play. I discovered that this was absolutely true and it also really shows off the aspects of the game that allow territory and financial expansion without relying completely on conquest.

In this After Action Report I will briefly mention battles as a matter of course, but the focus will be on diplomacy, trade, territory development, and a bit of how religion affects the game. You will notice that quite a few of the screenshots displaying the current world situation are from the Diplomacy map mode. This is another first for me in EUIV - the map modes (which are now user selectable for the hotbar) that I use are completely different than before where I spent almost the entire game in the Political Mapmode.
    by Published on 08-08-2013 17:07  Number of Views: 5175 
    Categories:
    1. Europa Universalis
    Article Preview

In 1443, Albanian forces deserted the Ottoman coalition during the Crusade of Varna, and in the following year of 1444, Albanians organized under the League of Lezhë, a state dedicated to preserving short-lived Albanian independence. The League was led by a remarkable general, Gjergj Skanderbeg. The failure of Varna left Skanderbeg in the lurch, but nonetheless he managed to lead a remarkable guerrilla opposition campaign to the Ottomans that used Albania's rough mountainous terrain to his advantage. Albania was still independent after his death in 1468. Let's see if we can walk in his footsteps.

This will be fun.
    by Published on 06-08-2013 15:09  Number of Views: 13391 
    Categories:
    1. Europa Universalis
    Article Preview

The Phoenix Rising

Chapter I: An Introduction

A Note to the Reader

This is a beta AAR for Europa Universalis IV and, as such, there's no guarantee that the game plays exactly the same upon release. At the time of writing the development team is constantly balancing and improving the game, not to mention fixing bugs and eradicating exploits, so it is to be expected that wars, diplomacy, and the economy have all been tweaked somewhat once we hit release, and that some of the things I do in this AAR will prove harder and others easier.

In particular, that means that any specific values I might mention, such as “it costs X to do Y” or “so-and-so provides a Z% modifier” may or may not hold at release. I know you love getting such details in a beta AAR and I include them whenever it feels appropriate, but please, for the love of God, do not consider them definitive. As I start writing this there are weeks until release and it is practically a guarantee that some of the values will have been rebalanced by the time the game reaches the public.

Now that I have completed the disclaimers, let me return to the narrative that is of interest to the reader, while promising solemnly that I will avoid any further “but this may have changed” legalese in the many chapters to follow, namely the AAR itself:

This AAR game deals with Byzantium and makes use of the Purple Phoenix DLC, which enriches the Byzantine experience by adding further events and missions with mostly symbolic rewards (but oh-so-satisfying text popups!) to the considerable amount in the base game.

Rather than engage in an all out no-holds-barred conquest spree, in this game I take my time and focus on completing the missions I am offered. No matter how outrageous or ill-timed they may seem. Missions in EU4 are more guidelines than anything else and seldom carry significant rewards, but it makes for an interesting change in playing style. It goes without saying that “taking my time” is a concept that should be understood in the context of the geopolitical situation. In particular, that determined by being surrounded by the Ottoman Empire on all sides. A lucky Ottoman Empire, since I've selected to play with historically lucky nations.