As you'll be competing with four other Patrician families in your Republic, we have tried to make things a bit more interesting by introducing vendetta events. If you have poor relations with the head of one of the other families, there is a chance that this will trigger an event that starts a family feud. This feud will take on a life of its own and continue from generation to generation. Even if your family members can't remember what started the feud all those years ago, they'll still know that those Morosini dogs can't be trusted as far as they can throw them – and the feeling will be mutual!
There are a number of ways for this feud to end, of course, and not all of them involve the complete eradication of one of the rival families. Some events, including a Romeo & Juliet inspired chain, will give you an option to end the vendetta peacefully as long as both parties agree to bury the hatchet.
With the inclusion of Trade Posts, we have also added two new decisions. As a Patrician, you may petition the Doge to grant you some Trade Posts from a rival family – but only if that family has completely eclipsed you in the number of Trade Posts owned. Likewise, if you are the Doge you can also attempt to usurp control over the assets of a rival family (for the betterment of the Republic, of course), but if you are successful this could ruffle many feathers.
As the leader of a Patrician family, you have somewhat less control than a feudal noble would over who the male members of your dynasty marry. New events can see them marrying anything from a bar wench to the daughter of a wealthy merchant. Finally, for added flavor we have also made several new random trade events for Patrician families. These generally deal with their budding trade empires, and some are positive, while others are less so.
That's that about The Republic. Many of you are probably curious about patch 1.09, so here are the highlights:
- Ultimogeniture Succession: the youngest child inherits
- Tanistry: A version of Feudal Elective where the electors must pick a member of your dynasty, but will tend to pick distant relatives, preferably old claimants
- Grant Independence Diplomatic option
- Automatic cultural renaming of titles in your realm. So you'll automatically see Smyrna turn into Izmir if held by Turks, etc.
- Added 1241 Bookmark - "The Mongols"
- The Reign length opinion modifers are now dependent on how long a character has been the liege of someone, not how long the primary title has been held
- All merc regiments now grow in max size over time
- Added more mercenary bands: Finns, Lapps, Abyssinians, Nubians, Lithuanians, Scots, Irish and Alans
We'll be posting the full patch notes in another thread very soon.
How is The Republic expansion changing Crusader Kings II?