View RSS Feed

Llywelyn

1. Colonial British ship lists

Same thing as the Danish, this time for England. The focus is on colonial era ship names.

This website was pretty thorough, but unfortunately doesn't exist any more. The archived version is here.

One website on Hudson Bay area ships -- which, while not capturing the full insanity of spellings in the original documents ("Anfraunces" for "Anne Francis", "Dionyse" for "Denis", "Myghell" for "Michael"), at least ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Dano-Norwegian ship names

Found a massively comprehensive site of Danish ship names from Odin to 1700 here (in Danish, natch) and even more details on ships and aliases (albeit in a much less convenient format) at Skippere here and at the Orlogsmuseet here.

On the other hand, I can't seem to get any good details about historical Danish orthography: Wiki seems to think that the letters , , and arose at the dawn of time, which can't possibly be right. This book should discuss it somewhere, but doesn't seem ...

Updated 27-05-2012 at 18:25 by Llywelyn

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I'm kinda torn...

On the plus side, there's a working search feature for the non-admins, which is great.

On the down, europa-universalis.com doesn't seem to work as an address any more.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Non-Paradox AARs

So I've been away for awhile...

and at the moment, the computer I've got isn't up to HOI3 or CK2 standards. (Although p'dox should be happy to hear that they are the toast of some sixth-grade kids I'm teaching in Shanghai: even the ones who think that HOI3 is too busy and flustered are in love with modded HOI2...)

Myself, I'm playing the newest iteration of FreeCol and it's been pretty dramatically improved: I've got the Danish discovering a lost Norse colony on Greenland ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. HOI3 AARs: Final Five

Vote here.

"Fall Weiss," by demokratickid:
    A sterling riposte seemed all but gone
    From Polish fields that time forgot
    An army marches on and long
    Like a darkening, cancerous spot.

A heartless fiend, fire breathes
    Tearing and turning all around
    Marching, churning up the leaves